It’s raining, it’s pouring, Mould in my house is growing!
The last couple of weeks have not been kind in terms of weather and for some people, our houses aren’t coping. Typically 1 in 3 homes can be affected by Mould, however with the amount of rain we’ve had recently, that number is sure to increase. The scary reality is that you can’t always see or even smell Mould in your home. So how do you know it’s there? Signs that Mould could be in your home include:
- Visibly seeing it, sometimes it will look like a light green dusting on objects such as window seals, picture frames etc.
- A musty damp smell that lingers in the air.
- Condensation around the home. This condensation may appear as a fog on your windows or a light dampness on glass doors.
- Was your house one of the many, sadly hit with the recent floods? If yes, then your house is at a higher risk of growing Mould.
- Is your wallpaper or painted walls forming bubbles underneath or cracking slightly? Mould may be growing underneath.
- A warped ceiling is another indicator that mould may be growing under the surface.
- Discolouration or water stains on your walls or floors can be another indicator.
Mould can actually impact your health so detecting it early and removing it from the home as soon as possible, is crucial. Lung problems like a constant cold or flu, chronic fatigue or brain fog and headaches are just some of the ways Mould can affect you. If you have Asthma and are living in a home with Mould, you could be breathing in the spores created from the Mould which can cause an Asthma attack.
So how do I remove the Mould safely?
Here are our top ways to remove Mould, without using harmful chemicals. Please remember to wear a face mask for your safety.
Using Baking Soda:
- Mix 1 tablespoon baking soda, 4 cups water in a spray bottle
- Spray the area and let sit for an hour
- Scrub the spot and remove residual soda solution
- Rinse off with soapy water and allow to dry completely before using the area again
Using White Distilled Vinegar:
- Mix 1 part vinegar, 1 part water and 1 Tablespoon of Tea Tree oil in a spray bottle
- Spay the area and leave for an hour
- Clean off the residue and let dry